Saturday, July 10, 2010

Grilled Turkey





We have a busy week ahead of us and I wanted to get a jump start on the cooking. I had a turkey in the freezer, so cut it up, and cooked it up! The breast was removed from the bone, skin removed, roasted with butter and bacon grease, with a liberal shake of the "chicken grill seasoning that I got on sale the other day at the supermarket. I cooled it in it's liquid. Will use to slice for sandwiches, salads, etc. Very moist and flavorful.
That brings us to the wings, legs, and thighs. I cut off the wing tips (threw them in with the rest of the carcass for turkey stock), and kept the leg and thigh joint whole. I took a sharp knife and poked the pieces well. Then I applied a rub: chili powders (red and green), cumin, smoked paprika, pepper, garlic, salt. The pieces sat in the rub, refrigerated, for several hours. Then grilled over indirect heat for about an hour, hour and a half. I charred an onion, as well. Then put everything in a cast iron dutch oven, added some turkey stock, braised with the lid on for another hour or so. It is is a baking dish, with the braising liquid. I will shred and heat for tacos or enchiladas later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment