Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cinnamon Spice Sourdoughnuts










Inspired by this week's sourdough adventures, I made some doughnuts today. I just made it up as I went. I took out the sourdough starter, let it warm up, took out about a cup. To that, I added a bit of Greek yogurt and half & half. After it sat on the counter a bit, I added yeast, warm water, and sugar. When it was nice and bubbly, I added more flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves. When it came away from the sides of the bowl, but still sticky, I turned it out and kneaded it some on a well-floured counter top. The dough was still kind of soft, but was able to roll it out, and cut it and it would still retain its shape.
The doughnuts were placed over a large pot of simmering water (turned off), on an oiled baking sheet, to rise until almost double. Fried them in hot (350-400F) peanut oil.
I drained them on layers of paper napkins and newsprint before putting them in the cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment