Monday, October 25, 2010

Shoo Fly Pie




This is a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. I consulted several different recipes, and came up with this. I made 3 pies: 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, scant 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and cloves; 6 Tablespoons butter. Mix together, cut in butter like a pie crust. In another bowl put 1 1/2 cup molasses, 3 egg yolks, 1 1/2 teaspoon soda, 1 1/2 cups boiling water (add slowly so as not to cook the eggs). I set about 1 1/2 cups of the flour mixture aside, and dumped the rest into the molasses mixture. Sprinkle the tops with the crumb mixture. Some recipes say to not mix any of the flour with the wet, getting a "wet bottom" pie. I was worried about serving it and a mess, so I added some of the flour mixture to the molasses. Many recipes don't add the spices, some do. I couldn't resist.
Bake for 10 minutes in a hot (450) oven, turn down to 350 and continue to bake for 12-15 minutes.
Of course, after the pies were in the oven for about 10 minutes, the power went out! I kept the oven door closed, and after the power came on, 30 minutes later, I turned it to 350, baked until I could smell it, and the crust looked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment