Monday, November 15, 2010

Marshmallows










I followed the recipe from my CIA Baking and Pastry book. I used a half recipe for the peppermint marshmallows.
In a large mixing bowl, bloom gelatin in water, add flavoring (peppermint extract), keep it over hot water to warm. Put water, sugar, corn syrup, and honey in a pan, boil until it reaches 252F on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat, cool to 210F. Put the warm sugar mixture into the gelatin, beat. A wire whisk attachment would be best (I don't have one).
While that is beating, prepare a pan. I made miniature marshmallows, so used a baking sheet. For thicker marshmallows, use a smaller pan, like a glass cake pan. Line with parchment, oil it, (I used a spray canola). Mix equal parts cornstarch and powdered sugar, put in bottom of pan. Towards the end of beating the sugar, after it reaches it's volume, put in a few drops of red coloring to turn it pink. Pour it into the prepared pan, dust with more powdered sugar/cornstarch.
Let it set in the pan for several hours or overnight. Then cut into squares. Toss in the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture to coat the cut edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment