Saturday, December 18, 2010

Grandma's Molasses Cookies







Boil together for about 3 minutes:
1 cup lard (I used shortening, I'm sure lard is better)
1 cup dark blackstrap molasses (I got the darkest they had)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salted butter (because I didn't have any cream, see below)
Let cool.

Add 1/2 cup strong coffee mixed with 1 tsp. soda. It will foam up. Cool.
Add 1/2 cup cream (I used milk, see above, compensated by adding butter)

In a separate bowl, mix together 3 cups flour (will need more as you are stirring/kneading)
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cloves

Add dry to wet. Add enough flour to roll out. After a bit, stirring becomes cumbersome, turn out onto a floured surface and knead until it feels right.
Do not refrigerate, or you will have a brick that impossible to roll out.
Roll out and bake.
I used the convection setting at 360, barely 6 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I made molasses cookies once and they were super. Yours look fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete