Monday, December 26, 2011

Clam Chowder


I've never really been fond of clam chowder, but it is something that my husband and children enjoy. I haven't made it much, but since my husband has been working hard all day tearing out flooring and prepping for a new floor tomorrow (which he is also installing), I thought I'd treat him to a great clam chowder.
This is what I did:




Sauteed bacon in the ban, removed the bacon when it was cooked, to be added back into the chowder at the end. I drained some of the excess fat from the pan, then added diced onion and celery, cooked until tender. Then, I added diced potatoes, pepper, and thyme. Then, I put in a bottle of clam juice, water, and a cube of chicken bullion.
When potatoes were cooked, I added two cans of minced clams, with the juice, and some heavy cream. When it was warmed through, I added a slurry made from brandy and cornstarch. Add it to the chowder, along with the reserved cooked bacon. Let it simmer for a few minutes to thicken a bit.

The brandy really made a difference in this chowder, it was marvelous!



No comments:

Post a Comment