Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bread with Herbs and Cracked Black Pepper


I put some warm water (about 1/4 -1/3 c.), into a measuring cup with some dry yeast, a bit of sugar, and a bit of flour. Set it to the side. In a bowl, I put some milk, shortening, and kosher salt. I zapped it in the microwave to heat the milk and melt the shortening.


After the milk/shortening mixture cooled a bit, I stirred in some whole wheat flour and the yeast mixture, and added a good amount of dried Italian seasoning (it was old, so used about a tablespoon), and coarse ground black pepper. I stirred in more flour. All I had on hand was white AP flour.


After adding more flour, I turned it out onto the floured counter and kneaded until smooth.


I coated the dough with oil and set it in a warm place until doubled in bulk.


After punching down the dough, I formed it into 8 pieces and put them in a mini-loaf pan.
At this point, I forgot about them. Just before falling asleep, my husband asked how long to bake them. I think I told him 15 minutes, oven was about 380F.


I awoke this morning to six mini-loaves, looking beautiful, individually wrapped. Yes, the pan held eight. I guess my husband tried them out last night! I sliced into one this morning... mmmmmm!


No comments:

Post a Comment