Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Cobbler in a Jar

No, not a tiny shoemaker....
Start by placing 1/2 pint canning jars on a foil lined baking sheet. Put a dab of butter into each jar. I laced them in the oven to melt the butter.
Make your favorite pie filling. I made peach and cherry.
To the peaches, I added vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. The cherries were flavored with almond, nutmeg, and cardamom. Both fillings had sugar and cornstarch.

Both fillings received a shot of orange liqueur.
I put the filling into the jars, and precooked them for about 15 minutes. While the filling cooked, I threw together a batter for the topping.
I put a stick of butter in the food processor, added about 1 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, about 1/2 cup cornmeal, about 3 tsp. baking powder, and about a tsp of salt. No, I didn't measure.
To the dry mixture, I added about a cup of milk and a beaten egg.
The hot filling was topped with a spoonful of batter, and put back into the oven (turned up to about 400F convection) for another 15 minutes, or until the topping was golden.
These can be served immediately, or one can put the lids on for storage (if the batter hasn't risen too far above the rim), once they are cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment