Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tomato Pie

I had a craving for tomato pie, but never having had one, I wasn't sure how to go about it. I looked at some recipes online, found some that had eggs, some that included breadcrumbs, and quite a few with a mayo/cheese topping. This is what I did:
I sliced tomatoes, and wilted the spinach.
The tomatoes and spinach contain a lot of water, so I drained them on paper towels, also washed and dried oregano from my garden.
I made a simple crust in the food processor, and added cracked black pepper.
I pressed the dough into the pan, and pre-baked it for about 10 minutes.
After the crust came out of the oven, I let it cool for a bit, then started to layer the ingredients: cheese, tomatoes, spinach, chopped oregano.
The cheese mixture was a combination of drained yogurt (a large container of plain yogurt, drained overnight in the fridge), a dollop of salad dressing (or mayo), grated cheese (American, cheddar, asiago), chives from the garden, and a squirt of mustard.
I frosted the top of the pie with the cheese, and baked it in the oven for about 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, I topped it with whole grain Club crackers, melted butter, and yes, I went there: bacon fat.
It baked for another 30 minutes, then let it rest for about 15 minutes before I cut into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment