Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sausage and Cheese Calzones



Although we have enjoyed calzones for a long time, I got the idea for these from The Pioneer Woman, you can probably check her website for exact measurements. This is what I did.
I started by thawing frozen bread dough, dinner rolls. Then, made the filling: part skim ricotta (it was on sale), shredded Italian blend cheese, parmesan (yes, the stuff in the green can), Italian sausage, cooked with diced onion, green peppers and grated garlic. I use a microplane to grate the garlic. After the sausage mixture cooled, I added it to the cheese mixture with one egg.
I rolled out each bit of dough, added filling, turned it over and sealed the edges by rolling them. I find that works better than using a fork to crimp. Brushed each with egg wash, put a slit in the top of each one for the steam to escape (otherwise, they might burst open).
They were baked for about 17 minutes, 350F, convection.
I zapped some leftover pizza sauce in the microwave and served it along side the calzones, for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment